Friday, July 8, 2016

Cards Printing!


Hello Friends & Backers!

Yes, I have neglected this website, choosing to stay in touch with my backers directly.  I hardly realized that I had left it without any news at all!  The truth is, this has been such a busy time that I haven't had a moment to think about anything beyond getting the cards edited and completed.  But they are at the press right now.  In fact, I was able to watch the beginning of the print run on Wednesday and took some photos of the printing process.

From the beginning I have struggled to make this a local product.  My first samples, however, could not be printed locally.  I tried to do them locally but nobody local was willing to print just 30 sample decks.  Now, thanks to my wonderful Kickstarter backers, I have been able to set the cards up at an amazing printer in East Providence, RI, only 15 minutes from my own doorstep.  This means we've been able to cut one leg out of the shipping process, keep the process local, and keep it just a little bit greener.

The cards are being printed on 30% post-consumer recycled stock - a compromise between quality and responsibility.  Playing cards have to withstand the rigors of regular use, which necessitates some fresh materials.  However, all of the "fresh" paper comes from FSC certified, sustainably-managed forests.  The boxes, themselves, are 100% post-consumer.  The printing process is low-VOC and as environmentally friendly as we could make it.  

Best of all, 100% of our Kickstarter funds will be spent in Rhode Island, USA.  I hope to have the cards available by September for online, and wholesale, orders.  In the meantime, I am going to continue focusing on getting the first 500 decks out to my amazing backers! 

Thank you all for your support.  Check back in August for more news on the Food Forest Card Game's public release.

Cheers,
Karl

1 comment:

  1. Nice! Thanks for the update.
    I am very much looking forward to playing!

    ReplyDelete